Henry Coe China Hole Huge Loop


Life is an adventure, it's not a package tour.” - Eckhart Tolle

Running is training, but it can be so much more than that. With my year’s, possibly life’s running goal of the AC100 looming, all I can think about sometimes is training, training, food, and then training again. But running isn’t all training. It can also be an adventure. That’s how I got started into trail running in the first place. To find again the reason why I run, not why I train, I had to go seek out a new adventure.

Be careful going in search of adventure - it's ridiculously easy to find.” - William Least Heat-Moon

Since we moved here, I had been eyeing the vast Henry Coe State Park to the east, but it is often dry and very hot. After recent rains, the hills were vibrant, as green as the hills in Switzerland that drew me to trail running in the first place. Trailstompers outlines many great hiking trails in the Bay Area, and suggested four in HC. I chose the longest of the four, and invited a few friends along for the ride.

The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

The mountain did not disappoint. Warmup was a gentle, shaded single track with a few diminutive creek crossings. After a quad busting four mile long downhill, we finally arrived at Coyote Creek, for the first of many creek crossings. The water was beautifully clear and cold, refreshing to bathe in and refreshing drink (filtered of course). The hill climbs were epic, short and steep or “easy” and never-ending. But I can’t describe in words the beauty of this place, this time of year. You have to see it for yourself or satisfy yourself with pics on your phone or computer.

Marriage is an adventure, like going to war.” - Gilbert K. Chesterton

It was a long hour and a half drive to the trailhead, so even though I woke up before 6AM, we didn’t get to start until until well after 8. We went much slower than we could have, stunted by the gorgeous landscape and documenting for all of you to enjoy and for us to reminisce later. The final 5 mile slog uphill in the daytime heat took its toll. It was the slowest 18 miles I’ve ever run; we didn’t finish until after 1pm. This aspect of running is not the adventure I was looking for. We started as early as possible to get home at a reasonable time but it didn’t work out. After racing two weeks ago, to be honest, on reflection, this is not how I wanted to spend my time, at least so often. Should I give up adventure runs? Races? Running altogether? I don’t have the answers, do you? How do you balance ultrarunning and family?











Comments