2022 Quicksilver 100k. How not to DNF a 100k and other musings

May 14, 2022, an unusual weather pattern arrived, dishing out a one day heatwave with temps in the mid-80s, just in time for the 2022 Quicksilver 100k. Did y’all get your heat training in? Because…


I recently DNF’ed the Covid delayed 2021 Quicksilver 100k a few months ago. This time, instead of running it again, I was set to volunteer at the Kennedy aid station. Because while I may be an idiot, I am not stupid. OK, maybe a little.

The best aid station crew on the course

The day before the race, I went to packet pickup to hang with my bros, or my gramps, as the kids might call us. It’s hard work putting on a race. You gotta recruit semi-retired folks to hand out bibs and t-shirts. It’s fun to see all those hopeful faces before their dreams get crushed 24 hours later. I should have taken pictures. Before and after: Quicksilver or meth?


A funny side story. tl;dr: Are you having dinner with us? Who the f*** are you?  That morning, I got a cryptic message that Jason Schlarb, Hardrock winner and one of the best American runners to have run UTMB, might be joining us for dinner. How? I don’t know, I’m not one to ask questions. Once I somehow graduated college, I stopped asking questions. Anyway, I saw Jason wandering the Sports Basement after getting his race packet. So naturally, this idiot ultrarunner/ultra-idiot runner accosted him and casually said that we’re having dinner together, to which Mr. Schlarb replied in the kindest manner, “I have no idea what you’re talking about”. Well, consider that an invitation because the original invitation that he was maybe supposed to receive via a little birdy who knows this other birdy never did arrive. I blame it all on Sylvie’s Europeanness. Regardless, some time later, probably not wanting to crush the heart of a little fanboy, Jason came to dinner with us anyway. But I’m not a little boy, just a bit immature. Anyway, that’s the crazy story of how Spot and I met the famous Jason Schlarb. I may have to use this strategy on Gal Gadot, “hey! I heard we’re getting drunk at my place tonight”. Or on my wife, “hey, I heard you’re not going to kick me to the couch after reading that last line.” 

Spot the Hardrock Champion

That’s the power of suggestion and the power of attitude. That’s a lesson runners should take heed of ahead of a brutal race like the Quicksilver 100k. I was volunteering at the mile 26 aid station and saw way too many people suffering when they should have been $85 into enjoying the $200 they spent on this race. It’s all about attitude


Bad: It’s so hot out here!

Good: I am hot stuff.


Bad: I still have 36 miles to go

Good: I’ve already gone a marathon


Bad: I still have 25 miles to go

Good: It’s not even a marathon left


Bad: We still have 10,000 ft of vert to climb

Good: It’s net downhill from here


Bad: Ugh, this course is so hilly

Good: Other than the hills, this course is pretty easy


Bad: I don’t want to run anymore

Good: But I’m not dead yet


My theory is that people with the right attitude finish well. Look at Satpal. Or better yet, just follow him. That beast finished Black Canyon, Miwok, Canyons and Quicksilver - four 100k’s this year. Ask him what he’s signing up for next, and then do the same.


That and drop bags. I haven’t worked in retail since college but seriously, what the heck, people? A ziploc, an amazon bag, two bottles taped together, a shoe box, keyboard box. What’s next? A sled dog? People, drop bags are supposed to be easy to identify *and* transport. Remember, most of us volunteers are runners and have no upper body strength. Drop bags that weigh more than 5 pounds may “get lost on their way to the aid station”.


Matt Seidel, in first place, doing the hokey-pokey

Three and a half hours into the race, first time 100k runner, Matt Seidel, came dancing through our aid station. The next group of runners would not arrive for another 30 minutes. Matt, lemme impart some wisdom since I’m a part-time data scientist. Among the winners of Quicksilver 100k is my friend Sylvie who was pregnant when she won. That means for the 9 year history of QS100, out of 18 male and female winners, the pregnancy rate is 5.5%. That’s a pretty big risk to be taking for a 25 year old dude. But whatever, he won the race. Let’s see how he feels the next few weeks.

Pregnant former champion asleep on the job

It was carnage for the rest of the field. Barely half the starters finished under the 16 hour WSQ time. But even then, it’s about attitude.


Bad: I’m one of only 3 people to drop at Kennedy

Good: Podium finish at Kennedy!


Bad: I feel like crap

Good: You also smell like crap


Bad: I didn’t finish/podium/win

Good: As far as I know, your chance of being pregnant is lower.


Bad: I won’t be able to face my family/friends/coworkers after this failure

Good: No one cares you run ultras

Podium at Kennedy: Dr. DuMonthier and Dr. Ross


Someone cared enough to make a shirt about it. Photo: Michael Li

And the power of suggestion. “Hey, I heard you’re going to sign up for another 100k”. But I don’t need to suggest that because you already did, didn’t you?



Keep on truckin' Ramiro

You, too, AF

Comments