ITR 2015 Marin Ultra Challenge 50M

Some lessons from my near DNF (did not finish).

1. Put things in perspective. I was feeling great at mile 30. That's equivalent to a 50km, and after more than 8000 ft in vertical gain, including a section of 1 mile at 10% grade with the next mile at 20% grade. My near DNF came at mile 40 and 10+ hours - I would have finished the SD 50M (+5000 ft) by then. That I still had 3 more hours to go shows how tough this one was.

2. Prepare for the heat. I suffered from heat exhaustion coming into mile 40 that laid me out for a half hour. On a day-to-day basis, I suffer from a runner's first world problem - mostly shade and nearly always between 40 and 60F year round. That's not going to prepare me for most races. Of course, many people DNF'ed from heat that day, so it wasn't just me.
 

3. It's still a mind game. I prepared to DNF not just because of the way I felt but discouraged by not seeing anyone behind me. During my break, I saw many people coming in looking in worse shape than I was. At that point, I knew that I hadn't suffered enough to truly deserve a DNF. I eventually passed many of them, including a seasoned 100M ultra runner.
 

4. I knew this one already but in case anyone is curious, 50M races don't start until 30M.
Overall, I'm still satisfied with the completion even though it didn't fall into my target time. I finished in 13H 20M, including the 30M break. Marin was my second 50M and in both cases, I was feeling strong at 30M, so I would have to say that 50km is too easy - I have to run 50M+ to be challenged.

Comment on equipment: Both my watch and phone died, so I didn't track the run, per se. The Fitbit charge worked pretty well, though, in tracking distance so I generally knew how far I had to the next aid station. I'm doubting whether I should keep using GPS watches at all. Injiji socks with (newish) Saucony Peregrine trail shoes worked superbly - no blisters, no lost toenails. The Peregrines let in too much dust, though, and I had to stop frequently to empty out the dirt.

 

Comments