Ragnar Cape Cod

Brief report of Ragnar Cape Cod.

This was an "ultra" Ragnar, meaning 200 mile relay between 6 of us, 6 segments/legs each, over a ~36 hour time span. I had a fever leading into this trip, but I had booked the trip to Boston, and crawled into work on Thursday morning after taking the red-eye from San Jose the night before. I think my fever was settled, just below 100F anyway, before we started our adventure from Hull, MA

Leg 1 of Ragnar cape cod down. 6.2 mi at a relaxed 8:17 pace. What flu? Did I have a fever yesterday?

Finished legs 2 and 3, 12.8 mi at 8:46 pace and 4 mi at 8:20 pace. Beautiful scenery passes by unappreciated by the tired masses. Three more legs to go. I should mention that leg 2 was the only segment for me that was run on roads with significant car traffic versus trails, and unpopulated roads.

Leg 4 was uneventful although my pace slowed to 9:20 per mile. But leg 5 was a doozy. We were now nearly 24 hours into our adventure, the sun was rising, I hadn't slept and hadn't eaten in a while. I ended up having to walk most of leg 5, averaging 14 minutes per mile. I wasn't getting enough blood to my head, and started seeing spots. I get these on rare occasions and usually recover in a few minutes of walking, but at 4:30 in the morning, it just wasn't happening.

Ragnar Cape Cod was finally done for me. Before my sixth and final leg, I had gotten some respectable sleep in the back of the van and had a breakfast sandwich. Feeling revived, I finished the last 7 miles at a respectable 9:20/mi. pace. Our next runner, Bart, wasn't ready to go when I arrived. I was tempted to run the next segment, too, as our team was feeling hobbled. We lost one runner to injury and a couple of others were also reduced to walking. Good old Ragnar. Total distance, 39.6 miles.

There was beautiful scenery the entire way. Finishing up at the end of the Cape in P-Town, well, I was not expecting P-Town to be what it was. I'll leave it at that.


We landed at Plymouth Rock.

Our crew at the finish line.

Probably the gayest picture I've ever taken.

I like chickens


Beautiful Provincetown


Comments