Ragnar Napa Valley

Serendipity founds its way to me via an email to a San Diego based group needing a runner for the Napa Ragnar. I didn't know what a Ragnar was but it sounded fun enough. Sure, I'd have to spend two days with people I don't know, but you have to take your chances once in awhile. I was to be a part of 6 runners in van 2. Between us and another group of 6, we were going to relay 200 miles from San Francisco to Calistoga. I met Jonathan and Bart in Belmont and met the rest of our all-male crew in Mill Valley.

The first van started in S.F., wound their way through the city and over Golden Gate. We met them at a large field in Mill Valley. It was probably the largest gathering of runners I'd ever seen. Our van ran our relays from there on back roads through Nicasio to Petaluma. Our midday runs in the afternoon heat were sometimes tough, but we were on fresh legs.

After passing the baton back to van 1, our sausage-fest was able to continue to act like boys without the hassle of anyone running. After a layover in an Irish pub, we were set to resume running from Santa Rosa to Sonoma at night. We had a surprise heavy downpour for a September. I describe it as a surprise because I'm sure this time of year nobody bothered to check the forecast. California is reliably dry in September. Running 9 miles in pouring rain, trying not to step on frogs in the pitch blackness of night, yes, I was still having fun.

Our final segment started in late morning, from Napa to Calistoga. Under a light rain, I ran up the Silverado Trail between Yountville and St. Helena. Despite the name, it's a busy two lane road, not a trail, but one of the most picturesque roads I've experienced. I was nearly bonking, from lack of sleep and proper nutrition, but managed to steal some grapes to keep going.

What an experience. I just moved to the Bay Area and on this weekend discovered the backcountry in Marin County, experienced Lagunitas beer for the first time, explored the Silverado Traill in Napa Valley and beautiful Calistoga, and made some great friends. That's what happens when you let serendipity take over.



Comments