From surfing to running, from the beach to the Alps

So it’s been a few years since I’ve written a blog. Most of you that know me know that I’ve since moved from Montana to Switzerland. I do definitely like it here. There is a lot to like, from the cleanliness (what most people first notice), to the quality of the produce, proximity, and of course, the Alps. I haven’t surfed in two years, but I’ve been enjoying more time in the Alps, in particular with running.

Some of you may know that I’ve been taking up long distance running. It’s something that I used to think was not an option available to me. I used to get really bad calf cramps and I gave up running in 2004 because of it. In 2008, I discovered flat footed running, although I haven’t gone full barefoot yet. Earlier this year, I completed my first marathon, something that I completely lost hope for 10 years ago. It wasn’t the best time I could have made (4:32) but speed is not that important to me any more. It’s more about the enjoyment, the zen of running.

Next month, I will be attempting the Jungfrau marathon. That’s basically a normal first half, with ~6000 ft (1700 meters) of mountain climbing in the second half. I haven’t spent much time preparing. Last week, I ran the north side of Wallensee lake near Zurich. That was 22 km and 900 meters of climbing. About half of the Jungfrau. And it really exhausted me. Today I ran the ViaSpluga. My original intent was to run over the pass from Splügen, Switzerland to Madesimo, Italy, spend the night and run back the next day. Unfortunately we have thunderstorms today, so I played it safe, and drove to Madesimo, and ran from Isola, IT to the summit and back down. That was ~25km, and 900 meters of climbing. Took just over 4 hours. A nice run, but still just more than half of the Jungfrau. Tomorrow I’ll run the Swiss side to the summit. The Italian side of the trail was very interesting and wet. The trail got very narrow and the cliff very steep at times.

Lots of cows, too. By the time i got to the lake near the top of the mountain, the wind really picked up. I guess it was really always there but i didnt get much of it in the canyon. The rest of the way up from there (another 700 ft higher) was cold and windy, and I was concerned about how soon the afternoon thunderstorm would arrive. After a quick stop at the border, headed back down, passing the hikers along the way. I’d have to figure out if I should say Entschuldigung, Pardon or Scusi, or default to Sorry. Such is life in and near Switzerland.

Comments